Friday, April 25, 2008

Thanksgiving 2006

My time in the jury box this week brought this story to mind. I thought I'd share it here.
It was the day before Thanksgiving, November 22, 2006. I had an appointment in Atlanta that day, so I had to take the day off of work. Convenient. After my appointment, I drove on to South Carolina and Daddy's house. Half a mile from my exit, an 18-wheeler hooked my left rear fender (see the first picture). It pulled my car into the truck crushing the rear door (see the second picture). The car then spun as I hit the brakes and the truck continued to pull the left rear of the car forward. I basically almost completed a 360 - I remember seeing the cars coming at me head-on - before heading into the median. When the car stopped in the median, my heart was beating a mile a minute, but I wasn't hurt at all. Despite the damage to the car, it was perfectly drivable. The State Trooper followed me to the exit to be sure. So, Daddy and I went to Cracker Barrel for Thanksgiving. I had a nice visit - recounting my story to family and friends. I came home the next week - Tuesday, I think. I was off work the whole week. That Wednesday night I went to supper at church. My friend, Laura - the mom of the boys I babysit for - asked what had happened to my car. I told her about the wreck. She told me that that morning she knew I was driving to South Carolina and had prayed for me. I hugged her and thanked her, telling her it could have been much worse without the prayer.

2 comments:

Ronin With Scissors said...

I am always a little anxious when I pass 18-wheelers on the freeway. I am glad you were ok! I can't even imagine spinning around to oncoming traffic.

Samantha said...

Thanks for sharing your story... I never realized that happened to you! Glad you were ok.